Have you ever wondered about the system configuration of your computer? Be it PC, tablet or laptop, knowing the specs of your device and the OS info is essential. Here are some of the reasons why? Your laptop is getting slow and you are thinking if it’s possible to upgrade. Planning to sell or buy a new laptop. Wondering if a particular software or game would work well on your system. The system stops functioning and you have to troubleshoot.
You can check your device specs on Windows 10 in various ways. Based on the method used, the properties may differ slightly. The box in which your laptop arrived will have the key specs mentioned. If you threw it, don’t panic! It’s easy to check the specifications. Here are some ways to find the computer specifications:
Using System Information.
Making use of the system information to obtain an overview of the specs is one of the best methods. To check all the specifications of your computer, follow these instructions.
- Click the Start button.
- Look for the System Information option and select the top option to open.
- Here choose System Summary that is found on the left lane.
In the System Summary window, you can find various information. This includes system type, system model, UEFI or BIOS info, memory and last update details. I’m in the summary, but you can’t view the graphics card details. For this, check under the option Components and then click Display. Are you searching for particular property information? System Information has a search area at the bottom end of the page. Using the search bar, you can obtain the details you require.
Create a report of the system specifications.
With the help of System Information, you can make an overall report of the computer specs. In order to create the report, follow the guidelines below.
- Select the Start option.
- Choose System Information and select the top result.
- From the Summary, choose the specs you want to export.
Note: Once you choose the System Summary, it will export all the spec details. If you want only the graphic card specs, click on Display to export the details.
- Select the File option and choose Export.
- Choose the file location where who want to save the report.
- Type the report name for the file.
- Finally click on the Save option.
On finishing this procedure, the report can be saved as a text file. The file can be opened and viewed using any text editor.
Want to check only the basic system specifications? Use the Settings options to find out the memory, processor or the latest Windows 10 version. To check this specs, follow the instructions.
- Select the Settings option.
- Choose System and then select About.
- View the Windows Specifications and the Device Specifications.
In this section, the Windows 10 edition can be checked as to whether it is Pro, Home, Education or Enterprise. The time the feature update installation took place is available here. Also, you can check the current build number and the version number.
In these specs, device name, installed memory, processor, and system architecture is obtained. Also you can find if the device has support for the stylus.
Using Command Prompt.
Command Prompt along with System Information can provide the specs about the device. To attain the complete details using the System Info tool, follow this method.
- Click open the Start button.
- Look for the Command Prompt and right click on the top end result.
- From here choose Run as the option for the administrator.
- Type the command ‘systeminfo’ and click Enter.
Note: The systeminfo command can be run to check various options. This is done by using the tool along with the Command Prompt.
On finishing the process, the command prompt will show all the information. This includes both the software and hardware info of your computer. The specs have details about the recent Windows 10 update. You can also see details like UEFI or BIOS firmware, system architecture, network info and RAM.
Using Device Manager.
By making use of the Device Manager, you can obtain a detailed list of the hardware that is used by the device. It’s beneficial if you want to find out the type of hardware your computer has.
- Click open the Advanced Start option. Right-click the icon at the bottom left end of the page. A pop-up list can be seen on the left side of the screen.
- Select Device Manager from the menu. The Device Manager window opens up.
- Search for any hardware category to view. Go through the various hardware options and find the one you want to check. If you would like to know about the PC’s processor, click and open the Processor option for details. Likewise check the rest as well. Based on the model of your computer, the Device Manager set will differ slightly.
- Next select the hardware list or click on the expand ‘+’ icon on the left pane. At least one item is visible under each category head in the list. If the intended options list under the hardware heading is seen, it means its expanded.
- Now you can review each of the hardware components. Based on the selected hardware, you can click on it to get the complete properties.
See to it that you don’t disable or uninstall any hardware in the Device Manager. Uninstalling by mistake without proper instructions can cause the PC to stop working.
Through PowerShell you can find out the complete specs of your computer system. Here are the steps to be followed.
- Click on the Start option.
- Then look for PowerShell and select the top option.
- Select the Run command as the administrator option.
- Type the command ‘Get-ComputerInfo’ on the dialog box and click Enter.
In case you need only some details, append the -Property flag and the property you want to view. For instance: you want to see the full BIOS details of the device.
Use the command: ‘Get-ComputerInfo -Property “bios*”’.
After finishing these steps, detailed info of the hardware and OS is obtained by PowerShell. You can save the report as a text file in your device.
Using the above methods and steps, you can check exactly what is running inside your computer.